Soup month as been fun! I’m wrapping it up with the save-the-best-for-last hearty vegetable soup. This soup can be made vegetarian and gluten-free without jeopardizing the flavor or bite satisfaction.
I realize that vegetable soup may need some excitement to entice some people. This one has a smokey pancetta that gives an extra layer of flavor. It also has healthy lentils that jam-packed with flavor and vitamins.
The lentils and orzo pasta hide the fact that this is actually vegetable soup, even the little toddler was curious….but not fooled, she will love it some day.
If you’ve never had lentils and are looking for an easy way to try them – this soup is it! Without further ado, let’s get to it.
Hearty Vegetable Soup
- 4 oz Diced Pancetta
- 1 cup Diced Onion
- 1 cup Diced Celery
- 1 cup Diced Carrots
- 2 tsp Salt
- Drizzle Olive Oil
- 2 cans Diced Tomatoes (30 oz total)
- 8 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 lb Fresh Green Beans cleaned and trimmed
- 10 oz Frozen Corn any kind, I used a bag of roasted corn
- 1 cup Green Lentils
- 1 cup Orzo Pasta uncooked
- 2 cups Water
- Over medium heat cook the pancetta until cooked through.
- Add in the onion, celery, carrots, salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cook until soft, onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the two cans of diced tomatoes.
- Add in the vegetable stock and bring up to a high simmer.
- Add in the green beans, corn, and lentils. Simmer over medium high heat for 25 minutes to cook the lentils.
- Stir in the orzo or any other small pasta and simmer for another 7-10 minutes until pasta is done cooking.
This soup freezes well –
Best result: if you freeze before adding in the pasta. Pasta has a tendency to soak up the liquid.
If you freeze with pasta: you can add water when you heat it up to serve.