I’m starting my September easy weeknight dinner series with a bang! I’m very excited to be able to share my Sheet Pan Caprese Chicken recipe with you! Since we’re still on the very edge of summer I wanted to do something light, easy and deliciously satisfying. In late summer, tomatoes are all the rage, so this is the perfect dish to kickstart my easy weeknight dinner series.
I’ve promise that this easy weeknight dinner series will be 7 or less ingredients, this includes counting salt and pepper, no rule bending here. They will also be easy to whip together, so your active kitchen time is quick and painless. Lastly, I promise that you can scale these recipes up or down very easily and I will always provide instructions so you can be successful no matter if you’re cooking for a party of 1 or 6 (+).
Caprese Chicken – How to Scale it up (or down).
This dish is super easy to scale up or down, my recipe below is for 2 servings, if you want just one serving, then use one chicken breast and cut everything in half.
If you want to make more this is what you’ll need for each additional serving.
1 chicken breast
2 slices of fresh mozzarella
2 slices of tomatoes
4 basil leaves
2 tsp of Italian seasoning
drizzle of olive oil
Mozzarella Cheese – I like to use a ball of fresh mozzarella cheese, you would need two slices about 1/4 inch thick per serving.
You can also use a bag of shredded mozzarella cheese, you will need about 1/2 cup per serving,
Tomatoes – I used garden-fresh tomatoes so they were a little on the tiny side. Red tomatoes on the vine at the grocery store would work just as well, or cherry tomatoes. You need 4-8 thin slices per serving. I like to cut them thinner than the cheese and layer them.
Basil – Fresh leaves are the best! You should be able to find them pretty easily right now (check your neighbor’s garden) or I found it cheaper to buy an entire plant at the grocery store rather than a small packet, and it stays fresher longer on the plant itself.
Drizzle with Olive Oil – Just like a Caprese salad (take me back to Italy!), lightly drizzle your prepared ingredients with olive oil, this will wake up their flavors as they bake!
Sheet Pan Caprese Chicken
- 2 Chicken Breasts (approx. 1 lb)
- 2 TBSP Italian Seasoning divided
- 6 oz Fresh Mozzarella Cheese – sliced approx. ¼ inch (approx. 4 slices)
- 2 Small Tomatoes (approx. 4-8 thin slices)
- 12 Basil Leaves (more for garnish, optional)
- Drizzle Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- Cherry Tomatoes (optional, only if you want to roast some on the side of your chicken breasts)
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line your sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Slice your mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. Drizzle a little of olive oil over it.
- Slice your chicken breasts in half so that you have four thin breasts. Carefully place your hand on top of the breast to apply a little pressure while you cut, this will help keep your knife straight and even so you get four even thin chicken breasts.
- Lay your chicken breasts on your parchment paper. You will want at least an inch or so between each. Sprinkle ½ of your Italian Seasoning (1 TBSP) on top of each chicken breast.
- Layer your cheese (1 slice), tomatoes (1-2 slices) and basil (3 leaves) inside of your chicken breasts on one end so that you can fold over the other side like a book. (If you want to secure your fold, you can stick in a tooth pick through to keep it from possibly sliding off.)Sprinkle the remainder of the Italian seasoning and salt on top of each chicken breasts.
- (Optional) Add on your cherry tomatoes and lightly drizzle the pan with olive oil.
- Bake at 350F for 15-17 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and your cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.