Skillet feta spinach chicken is the most scrumptious chicken weeknight dinners to date.
Skillet chicken is one of the best weeknight dinners but sometimes the basic go-to recipe will run its course and become predictable and boring. With this skillet feta spinach chicken, I’m giving it a new life with this simple, fresh, light and flavorful twist, it will be a favorite of yours all summer long.
Skillet browned chicken stuffed with spinach and feta served with tossed bowtie pasta and warm bursting cherry tomatoes, it does not get any better than this. We have added this weeknight meal into permanent rotation from now until September.
Skillet Feta Spinach Chicken
Spinach and feta are the ultimate combo, they basically go together like peanut butter and jelly. Just like spanakopita (otherwise known as a Greek spinach pie), this chicken stuffed with spinach and salty, tangy creamy feta is crave worthy.
Pan seared in shallot, garlic and butter, the ultimate combo for comfort. Seared until the chicken forms a gorgeous brown crust on the outside, really sealing in those irresistible flavors.
Fresh, light, perfection.
Bowtie Pasta and Tomatoes
Let’s face it, we eat with out eyes first, and this is just an incredible picture-perfect pop of color. The bright vibrant colors are everything – you cannot turn away from this dish.
Bowtie pasta, also known as farfalle, is my preferred type for this dish. You can also use other bite-size pastas like penne, small shells or even orecchiette if you want to.
Cook the pasta in salty boiling water, once cooked you will drain and then toss with spinach, tomatoes, olive oil then add it to the skillet. Baking in the oven will soften up the tomatoes making them delicious.
Bake the Skillet Feta Spinach Chicken
After pan-searing your chicken to form the perfect most flavorful dark brown crust on the outside, you will need to finish the dish in the oven so that the chicken has a safe internal temperate of 165F.
Topped with freshly broken feta, the entire skillet goes in, making the tomatoes soft and perfect for every bite, like a warm sweet and tangy pasta salad on the side. A simply irresistible weeknight meal in one skillet!
Weeknight Skillet Feta Spinach Chicken
- 1 box Bowtie Pasta (16oz)
- 1 lb Thin Chicken Breasts
- 10 oz Frozen Spinach - thawed and dried.
- 8 oz Feta Cheese
- 1 TBSP Butter
- 1 Shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic - minced
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 10 oz Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- In a large pot of salty boiling water, cook your pasta and drain.
- If your chicken breasts are not thin, you can slice them through the middle "hamburger" to make two thin flat pieces.
- Scoop in some spinach and a pinch or two of feta cheese.
- Fold over like a book, if the chicken breast doesn't stay closed, you can stick a toothpick in it keep it together.
- In a pan, over medium heat, add your buttter, shallot, garlic and salt. Sauté until soft and fragrant, about a minute. Carefully, to keep your stuffing in the middle, add your chicken. Brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes each side.
- Preheat the over to 350F
- In a bowl, toss your cooked pasta, remainder for the spinach and tomatoes. Toss in olive oil and add it to the skillet.
- Crumble feta overtop, sprinkle on black pepper and bake for 20 minutes - or until the chicken is cooked through to 165F.