Who doesn’t love a little twist on a classic favorite sweet treat? These butterscotch rice cereal treats are my absolute favorite, if I didn’t have to fit into jeans, these would be on the counter 24/7 at my house. They are so easy to make and bring so much joy.
Butterscotch Rice Cereal Treats
- 3 TBSP Butter
- 10oz bag Big Marshmallows
- ½ cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 5 cups Rice Cereal
- 11oz bag Butterscotch Morsels
- 1 Spoonful Coconut Oil or 1/2 TBSP of Butter
- Line your 13×9 inch pan with parchment paper, spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt the 3 TBSP of butter over medium heat. Add in your marshmallows and stir allowing them to melt. Once the marshmallows are just about melted, add in your peanut butter. *Note: you can omit the peanut butter if there is an allergy*Pro tip: it’s helpful to stir with a spatula that has been sprayed with non-stick spray
- Stir in your cereal until evenly coated with your melted marshmallow mixture.
- Pour the cereal mixture out into your prepared pan. Using your sprayed spatula press down until the cereal is even.
- Using a double broiler, you will want to melt the butterscotch morsels with a spoonful of coconut oil or 1/2 TBSP of butter. Pour over the cereal. Use a spoon or spatula to spread the melted butterscotch evenly over the cereal. To set up a double boiler: Use a sauce pan, fill it up with about 1 inch of water, place a glass bowl over the pan so that it sits on top – not touching the water. Turn the heat on, as the water starts to boil, it will heat up the bowl to melt your butterscotch. You are indirectly heating the butterscotch which helps prevent burning or scorching. This is also the best way to melt chocolate morsels.
- Wait about 20 minutes until the top has set before cutting.