Fall is slowly creeping into the air and these gooey warm sweet pumpkin spice morning rolls are just what you’ll want on a crisp fall morning.
The warm spicy fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves come together in a soft fluffy roll topped with the sweetness of vanilla cream cheese frosting. With the changing colors of the trees, and the cooler mornings, nothing pairs better with a warm cup of coffee before the busy of your day starts.
Sweet Pumpkin Spice Morning Rolls: Dough
This is a Insta(gram) recipe so it’s a twist on the classic cinnamon roll. This may seem daunting, but it’s perfect for weekend baking! You will want to make your favorite cinnamon roll dough, I always use the Pioneer Woman’s Cinnamon Rolls 101 Recipe. I make my dough the night before to help save time so that I can just wake up, roll out my dough and bake in the morning.
Her recipe is pretty simple, but I do make two changes that I find helpful. The first change I make is to half her recipe, which will make one sheet-pan of rolls, just split all the ingredients in half unless you want a double batch of these – then make sure to double my recipe below.
The second change is in her recipe she has your scorch your milk, I simply just heat the milk up long enough for the sugar to dissolve and then I let it sit until it reaches lukewarm temperature for the yeast.
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Pumpkin Pie Spice is a pretty common jar of spice that you can find in any grocery store or on amazon. You can also make your own, there are a ton of recipes online that give you the ratio for the mix, but you will need on hand ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves and ground nutmeg.
Sweet Pumpkin Spice Morning Rolls
- 1 Cinnamon Roll Dough – prepared See notes in blog.
- 6 TBSP Butter – divided
- 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 TBSP Pumpkin Pie Spice
Sweet Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 4 oz Cream Cheese – soft
- 3 TBSP Milk (+ a little more if needed)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat your oven according to your cinnamon roll dough recipe's instructions.
- Roll out your dough into a rectangle so that it's about ¼ inch thick.
- Melt your 6 TBSP of butter, pour 4 TBSPs over your dough making sure to cover the entire surface. Sprinkle on your brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice so that it evenly covers the entire surface of the dough.
- Roll up your dough to create pinwheels. Starting with the long edge of the rectangle, roll tightly until you get a long log. Pinch the seams together.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, trim off the edges and then start to cut your pinwheels, they should all be similar in size, I usually shoot for an inch thickness.
- Pour the remainder 2 TBSPs of melted butter onto the bottom of your baking sheet, making sure to coat the entire bottom of the pan, I usually use a brush to help.
- Layout your rolls on the baking sheet, giving them about an inch apart so that when they bake it does not overcrowd the pan.
- Place a towel over your rolls and let rise for 20 minutes (here you will want to make sure you follow the instructions of your favorite cinnamon roll dough recipe)
- Bake accordingly to the directions of your favorite cinnamon roll dough recipe.
- Let them cool while you make your sweet vanilla cream cheese frosting.
Sweet Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- You can use a stand mixer with a paddle or whisk attachment, a hand mixer or your arm muscles. Whisk together all of the ingredients. It should be thick but pourable. If you want to thin it out, you can add more milk a ½ TBSP at a time.
- Pour over your sweet pumpkin spice morning rolls.
- You may need to spread it out with a spatula to cover the entire pan.