Spinach lasagna roll ups are the definition of an easy weeknight dinner. With simple pantry ingredient, lasagna roll ups have the warm comfort of warm homemade lasagna that has sauce that slowly simmered all day with endless perfect layers of pasta, and cheese but instead made in an hour.
With store-bought tomato marinara, shallots and toasted garlic, the layers of flavors are unbeatable.
Easy to prep ahead for later in the week or to make a freezer meal.
Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups – Shallot & Garlic
These vegetarian spinach lasagna roll ups have a hidden bomb of flavor. Sautéed shallots and toasted garlic are pure magic. These two ingredients make store-bought jar pasta marinara sauce taste like it has been slow simmered all day.
Make it even easier with store-bought minced garlic. It is usually found in the produce section, sold near the fresh garlic. The back of the label there is a conversion for clove measurement, usually it shows that 1/2 tsp equals 1 garlic clove.
When the shallot becomes soft and the garlic becomes a little toasted, set it aside to let it cool. Once cooled it will be stirred in with the spinach and ricotta, and then is tucked into each lasagna roll.
How To Prep Ahead
Refrigerator: This recipe is super easy to prep ahead. Complete the steps below 1-8 and then cover and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake, no longer than 4 days. When you are ready to bake, set it on the counter as the oven preheats to help take some of the chill off before cooking. To bake follow the same directions in the recipe.
Freeze: Cover tightly and store in the freezer, it can last for up to 3 months. To bake freezer to oven, preheat your oven to 350F and bake covered for 45 minutes (until it’s warm all the way through) and then uncover and back for another 15 minutes.
- 12 Lasagna Noodles
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 Shallot - thinly sliced
- 3 Cloves Garlic - minced
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 10 oz. Frozen Chopped Spinach - defrosted and pat dry.
- 15 oz. Ricotta Cheese
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 TSBP Italian Seasoning
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese + some to sprinkle on top
- 1 Jar Pasta/Marinara Sauce (23-25oz)
- In a large pot add water, add salt and bring to a boil. Cook your lasagna noodles for about 8-9 minutes, drain. Spray cold water over them to prevent them from sticking together.
- Thinly slice your shallot and mince you garlic, you can do this while you wait for the pot of water to heat up. In a small pan add olive oil, your shallot, garlic and salt. Cook over medium low heat until the shallot is soft and the garlic is slightly toasted, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside and let it cool.
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Pat dry your defrosted frozen spinach. Try to soak up as much water as possible.
- In a large bowl, add your spinach, ricotta, nutmeg, Italian seasoning, egg, prepared garlic and shallot and mozzarella cheese in a bowl.
- In your casserole dish, pour half of your jar of pasta sauce on the bottom, and using a spoon, spread it out as much as possible for an even layer. Prepare the noodles. Lay your lasagna noodles flat, scoop on about a spoon-full size of your spinach and ricotta mixture, spread evenly to cover the surface of the noodle with a thin layer, starting one side, roll it up.
- Place in the casserole dish and do this again until all of your noodles are done.
- Pour the remainder of your pasta sauce over the top and sprinkle on mozzarella cheese.
- Cover your casserole dish with foil and bake at 350F for 25 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for another 15 minutes.
1 thought on “Weeknight Vegetarian Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups”
I’m always trying to incorporate more veggies into our meals and this is a winner! Easy to make, delicious and looks great plated. Thanks for adding another dinner option to our rotation, Nicole!