Hassleback potatoes are a cross between a baked potato and french fry and are great side dish for any occasion. Hand rubbed with oil and salt, topped with melted butter and fresh herbs for the ultimate oven roasted crispy-fluffy potato.
Hassleback potatoes are not the run-of-the-mill mashed or scalloped, making them a perfect option for when you need something “outside of the box.”
They have an amazing oven to table presentation.
How to make them Hassleback.
Hassleback is a technique that is done by slicing the potatoes into thin even pieces, without cutting all the way through. They are then topped with herbs, salt and melted butter then perfectly baked until they are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
To make them evenly sliced without going all the way through the bottom of the potato. Using two wooden spoon handles as a knife guide, the knife will hit the spoon handle before the cutting board leaving the potato attached on the bottom. You will have to eye-ball the ends of the potato because they will not line up with a guide.
Hassleback Potatoes Melted Herb Butter
The first step for these hassleback potatoes is to rub them in olive oil and salt. Don’t be shy on the salt.
The melted herb butter has three fresh herbs in it and when they bake it gives the entire dish (and kitchen) a wonderful delicious aroma. The herb seasoning is baked into the potatoes giving them so much flavor. The butter helps create a perfect crispy potato edge.
Lastly, these are topped with a smoky paprika that really makes these potatoes standout and impress.
Got Leftover Herb Hassleback Potatoes?
The next morning, use these potatoes for breakfast. The buttery-herbs that have been baked into them make for the most killer fried potatoes and eggs. Cut them into slices and pan fry them with a little butter until crispy. Serve on the side of your favorite eggs, it is epic.
Easy Herb Hassleback Potatoes
- 6 Russet Potatoes
- 3 TBSPS Olive Oil
- 3 TBSPS Salt
- ½ cup Butter
- ½ TBSP Minced Fresh Thyme
- ½ TBSP Minced Fresh Tarragon
- ½ TBSP Minced Fresh Chives
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Clean and cut your potatoes. To cut your potatoes, you want evenly sliced (no larger than 1/4 inch wide), do not cut all the way through the bottom of the potato. You can use a wooden spoon guide (see video).
- Melt your herb butter. In a sauce pan, add your butter and minced herbs. Over low heat, melt your butter.
- As the butter melts, drizzle olive oil over your potatoes. Using your hands make sure the potatoes are coated in olive oil and salt, about ½ tsp of olive oil and salt per potato.
- Pour the melted herb butter overtop.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 25 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender, crispy brown and soft. Add a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Brush on the melted herb - butter from the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Serve immediately.