This super simple apple pie is piled high with apples. With a rustic crust giving it the all American apple pie charm. This is my childhood favorite dessert. It’s one of the very few hand-me-down recipes I have and I’m so glad to share it with you.
Last year, I shared my Grandma’s Apple Pie story but I never actually wrote the recipe. This recipe is 50+ years in the making. Grandma told me that she uses the apples that are on sale so every year it’s a little different and she rarely measures. After making it a few time in my own kitchen and having her taste test, this is my take on her famous apple pie.
Apple Pie Apples
I like to use a variety of sweet reds and three tart granny smiths. I have a blog post that better explains the different type of apples for you so you can better navigate the grocery store or apple orchard.
Apple Pie Crust
You will need two pie crusts. For homemade crusts, you can use my Easy Pie Crust recipe. You can also buy them from the grocery store, just make sure you have two in the package!
Although I have a pie crust recipe – I’m a big fan of Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust, it’s easier to roll out and much easier to design a lattice.
- 2 Pie Crusts See blog notes
- 8-10 Apples – peeled and sliced evenly
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- ⅓ cup Flour
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 TBSP Cold Butter – cubed
- Egg Wash – 1 egg & 1 TBSP water whisked together
- Roll out the pie crust, I find it easier to do this before preheating your oven to keep your kitchen cool. Carefully place the bottom crust in the pie pan. An easy way to do this is to roll it up with your pin and then unroll it across the pie pan evenly. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Roll out the top crust and place on a baking sheet. if you are doing a lattice, cut your lattice pieces, lay them out on a baking sheet.Set aside in the refrigerator, you want to keep both crusts cold while making your pie filling.
- Preheat your oven to 425F.
- Peel and slice apples
- Add in the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, flour and lemon juice. Mix until combined completely. Taste a slice or two of apples, Grandma’s rules!
- Remove your chilled crusts from the fridge, pile high your apples and dot with butter.
- Place the top crust over the apples, crimp the sides closed until sealed. Cut vent holes (if not doing a lattice). See blog notes for more help with a lattice design.
- Paint on the egg wash with a brush.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the apples are tender and the pie has a nice brown crust. if you notice your edges browning faster than the rest of your pie, you can cover the edges with foil to prevent burning,
- Take out and rest on a wire rack until cool.
How to store you apple pie
Once it is cooled, you will want to keep it in the refrigerator, it will stay good for up to 10 days.
1 thought on “Simple Apple Pie”