Classic chicken noodle soup is the best way to warm up on a cold chilly day. It’s the perfect cure for the common cold and it’s made in under an hour!
This chicken noodle soup is easy to make and freezes well! It makes for an easy and quick bowl of soup anytime. Information on the best freezing and reheating techniques are below.
This soup is the best to do if you have left over chicken or turkey. You can also use a cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery story – these little tricks will it easier to make in 45 minutes.
I recommend freezing them in individual batches using plastic containers – that way you can defrost as needed. Do not add in the noodles, until you’re reheating the soup to eat. To reheat – take out of the freezer and defrost by running under cold water until it starts to loosen up. You only need to defrost enough to get the soup out of the container and into the pot. You can continue to defrost & cook on the stove over medium heat. Once the broth is heated up to a boil, take back down to a simmer and add in noodles (you will have to eyeball the noodles – I would say roughly 1/2 cup per bowl). Feel free to add in water as needed to get the broth, noodle, chicken ratio of your liking. Cook the noodles until done, 15 minutes or so and enjoy.
Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 3 Celery sticks diced
- 3 Carrots diced
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp dry Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 6 Cups Chicken Stock - low sodium
- 2 cups cooked Chicken or Turkey white & dark meat
- 3 cups Egg Noodles
- Over medium heat, heat up olive oil and add in onion, celery and carrots. Cook the onion until just about soft and translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add in all the seasonings (salt, turmeric, thyme, & bay leaf). The turmeric will add in some ginger-like flavor and it will give the soup a warm yellow color.
- Stir to combine and cook for 2 minutes to allow the flavors develop and become fragrant.
- Add in the chicken stock and bring to a boil and then take it back down to a simmer.
- Take out the bay leaf!
- Add in chicken and the noodles.
- Note: if you plan on freezing the soup, do not add in the noodles during this step to prevent them from soaking up the broth. Freezing and reheating instructions are below.
- Cook until the noodles are done, 15 minutes or so.
- Taste and season, you make need to add salt and/or pepper.