This twice baked holiday spice sweet potato casserole is a delicious way to upgrade your sweet potato game for the holidays. Impress your guests with sweet potatoes that are jam packed with holiday spices, topped with crunchy pecans and sweet melted marshmallows. It’s an easy-to-do recipe that you can prep and make ahead of time.
Holiday Spice Mix
For these sweet potatoes, I created a holiday spice mix that combines sweet and spice together for a warm indulgent seasoning blend. You probably have all of these in your spice rack.
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
Stir to combine all of them these together for your holiday spice mix.
Prepping your twice baked holiday spice sweet potato casserole ahead of time (a day before)!
Make it easy on yourself, you can bake, mix and re-stuff your sweet potatoes all the day before so all you have to do is pop it in the oven before dinner!
Mix together your Holiday Spice Mix
Bake your sweet potatoes. Preheat your oven to 400F. Poke the top of each potato 2-3 times with a fork to allow it to steam as it’s in the oven. Wrap each potato individually with a drizzle of olive oil in foil.
Bake for 40-50 minutes until the potatoes are soft and you can easily poke a fork into it and slide it off.
Let your potatoes cool until you can handle with your hands. Slice each potato down the center of the top, not going all the way through.
Scoop out the inside of the potatoes leaving about 1/4 inch or so around the outside to keep the shape.
Make the filling once you have scooped out all of the sweet potatoes into a bowl, add in the rest of the ingredients, stir until combined.
Stuff the sweet potatoes – Add the mixture back into the sweet potatoes and place into a casserole pan.
Cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake (if making ahead of time).
About an hour before serving – Bring out of the refrigerator while you preheat your oven to 350F. Chop your pecans. Then top your sweet potatoes with brown sugar, cinnamon, chopped pecans and mini marshmallows. Bake 35-40 minutes.
Twice Baked Holiday Spice Sweet Potato Casserole
- 6 Sweet Potatoes
- 4 TBSP Butter
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- All Holiday Spice Mix (see blog for recipe)
- 6 TBSP Brown Sugar
- Sprinkle of Cinnamon
- ½ cup Roughly Chopped Pecans
- 10oz Mini Marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 400F. As your oven preheats, poke each sweet potato with a fork to allow steam to leave as it bakes. Drizzle olive oil over the potato and wrap individually in foil.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 40-50 minutes until they are soft and you can poke a fork in the potato and have it easily slide off.
- Let the potatoes cool so you can handle them. Scoop out the inside of the potatoes leaving about 1/4 inch or so around the outside to keep the shape.
- In a bowl, hand mash together your sweet potato, butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, Holiday Spice Mix.
- Spray your 9×9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Fill your potatoes up with the mixture and place in your casserole dish.
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Top your sweet potatoes with cinnamon sugar (about 1 TBSP per potato) and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Top that with pecans.
- Top that with mini marshmallows.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes. Until heated throughout and marshmallows are melted.
Other Holiday Recipes
Bacon Honey Almond Brussel Sprouts
Creamy Herb Mashed Potatoes
Vegetarian Sourdough & Pomegranate Stuffing
Honey Lemon Iced Tea
1 thought on “Twice Baked Holiday Spice Sweet Potato Casserole”