Over Memorial Day Weekend, I decided to celebrate the ever-so-anticipated summer by making lemonade. Simple lemonade recipe is super easy and very refreshing, a must have for those long hot summer days.
You can choose between the regular lemon or the Meyer lemon. If you decide to make it with Meyer lemons you may need to squeeze a few more because they are usually smaller in size.
What is the difference in flavor? Meyer lemons tend to be less tart or pucker-ish. They have a softer, some people say sweeter, flavor. Both lemons are delicious for this lemonade recipe. Either lemon you choose, you’ll be sure to have a nice refreshing drink on a hot summer day.
- 1 ½ cups Sugar
- 8 cups Water 2 cups reserved for the end
- 2 cups Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice – strained (approx. 10-12 lemons)
- 2 cups Ice
- You want to make a simple syrup by bringing the sugar and 6 cups of water up to a boil just until all of the sugar is completely dissolved. This will allow the lemonade to be sweetened without the crunch of sugar. Let your simple syrup cool.
- As your simple syrup cools, squeeze your lemons to make 2 cups of lemon juice. Strain your juice so that seeds and pulp can be discarded.The internet taught me that you can get roughly 1/4 cup of juice from one lemon but since no two lemons are the same I usually average 5 lemons to a cup of juice, plus I buy two for garnish so it takes me about 12 lemons total.*Store bought lemon juice is not a substitute
- In a pitcher, pour the simple syrup, lemon juice, your 2 cups of water and add 2 cups of ice.You can add more water if you want a more diluted lemonade.
Fun things you can make with this recipe!
Perfect for any summertime weekend!
Arnold Palmer Perfect for any backyard bbq!
Summertime Happy Hour Sparkling Rosé Lavender Lemonade!