Made using pantry staples, you can make this perfectly sweet and tangy baked honey mustard chicken in 30 minutes start to finish. Get ready to add one of our family favorites to your weeknight dinner rolodex! – for lack of a better word, I know I’m showing my age, but I couldn’t come up with anything else.
We always have Ritz crackers on hand, they are a toddler favorite in our house and they add something special to recipe. Instead of pulling out the food processor, to save time and dishes, place the crackers in a zip lock bag and bang with a rolling pin or the palm of your hand, they crumble pretty easily. If you don’t have them, no worries you can just use all breadcrumbs.
Honey Mustard Dressing
This dressing is so simple! It comes together with just 4 ingredients, all found in your pantry and refrigerator, or your backyard, if you’re lucky enough to have a lemon tree. It’s equal parts dijon mustard, honey with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Once it’s made, you will want to reserve some before dipping raw chicken into it so that you can have drizzle it on top after it comes out of the oven.
Honey Mustard Chicken Nuggets
The original recipe below uses thinly cut chicken breasts however if you want to change it up to convince a toddler to eat dinner or to shorten the bake time, make them into little nuggets. It is the same gist as below, you will want to cut the chicken breasts into about 1 inch pieces, dredge them in flour, honey mustard dressing and the breadcrumbs. On a baking sheet (using parchment paper if you have it) spread the nuggets out, making sure they do not touch one another. Bake at 450F for 10-15 minutes, make sure they have an internal temperature of 165F.
Easy 30-Minute Honey Mustard Chicken
- 4 Thin Chicken Breasts or Chicken Tenderloins (1-1½ pounds total)
- ½ cup Flour
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs (substitute ½ cup with butter crackers, 1 cup total of breadcrumb mixture, see notes above)
- Honey Mustard Dressing (see recipe below) divided
Honey Mustard Dressing
- ¼ cup Honey
- ¼ cup Dijion Mustard
- 2 TBSP Lemon Juice
- ⅛ tsp Salt (just a quick pinch)
- Preheat your oven to 450F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make your honey mustard dressing, in a bowl mix together your honey, dijon mustard, lemon juice and salt until combined. Measure out 1/4 cup and set the rest aside until later.
- Set up your dredging station. You will want three bowls: One bowl for your flour. One bowl for ¼ cup of your honey mustard dressing. One bowl for your breadcrumb mixture.
- One by one, take your chicken breasts and lightly coat in the flour, shaking off the excess.Dip it into the honey mustard dressing, letting the excess drip off. (If needed, add more honey mustard dressing from the reserved)Evenly coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place your chicken breast on the parchment paper and repeat. Make sure to leave space between each chicken breast as you line them up on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 450F for 20 minutes.
- Before serving, drizzle the top with the reserved honey mustard dressing.