Scotcheroos have been around for decades and they seem to be making a strong comeback at the moment because they are oh-so-yummy. The internet will give you many different ways to make them, this recipe keeps it super simple, super quick, and has a little something to make it extra special.
Let’s face it, butterscotch and chocolate are a match made in heaven, add it to a gooey PJ & marshmallow-rice cereal bar and you have the perfect sweet treat. I am addicted. They are so easy to whip up, you can make them last minute for a quick dessert. Now that we are meeting up for long-over due backyard BBQs with family and friends, these are so easy to serve up.
Your Scotcheroos Secret Ingredient
Just like butterscotch and chocolate make a unbeatable match, chocolate and flaky sea salt make these scotcheroo squares irresistible. Adding sea salt flakes just does something magical, it’s such an easy add-on that takes it them to another level. Once you have these, the original scotcheroos will seem so…plain.
This extra thick sweet treat comes in layers of goodness. The first layer is the gooey marshmallow and peanut butter rice cereal treat, then it’s topped with melted butterscotch, which is then topped with melted semi-sweet chocolate, which is then topped with a sprinkle of sea salt flakes.
To melt the butterscotch and chocolate morsels, you will need coconut oil or butter. As the coconut oil or butter melts it will start to coat the morsels which will prevent them from burning in the microwave.
For the best results, you will want to cool the butterscotch layer before adding the chocolate layer otherwise they will run together. After you spread out your rice cereal bars, pour the butterscotch layer and spread evenly, then pop it in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes until it harden, then pour the chocolate layer and chill again in the refrigerator for another 10 minutes, sprinkle on the sea salt flakes and voilà! These are 100% absolutely irresistible.
Sea Salt Scotcheroos (no bake, extra thick)
- 8×8 or 9×9 pan
- 3 TBSP Butter
- 10 oz. Small Marshmallows
- ½ cup Peanut Butter
- 5 cups Rice Cereal
- 2 cups Butterscotch Morsels (11 oz bag)
- 2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels (12 oz bag)
- 4 TBSPS Coconut Oil can substitute with butter
- Pinch or two Sea Salt Flakes
- Prepare your 8×8 (or 9×9) pan by lining it with parchment paper – and set aside.
- Over medium heat melt your butter, marshmallows and peanut butter stirring until melted and combined. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in your rice cereal until evenly distributed and coated in the marshmallow mixture.
- Spread out in your prepared pan, pat down until even across the pan.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt your butterscotch morsels with 2 TBSPS of coconut oil. Start with 45 seconds, stir and then if morsels need more time, do 30 second intervals until melted. Pour over the rice cereal treats and spread evenly. Chill in the refrigerator for 10 -15 minutes until set.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt your semi-sweet morsels with 2 TBSPS of coconut oil. Start with 45 seconds, stir and then if morsels need more time, do 30 second intervals until melted. Pour over the butterscotch layer and spread evenly. Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the sea salt flakes.
- Cut and enjoy. Best served at room temperature, best stored chilled in the refrigerator.
How to store
Scotcheroos are best at room temperature, however, it’s best to store in refrigerator. To overcome this conflict, I usually cut them, store them in the refrigerator and then when I want one, I take one out for about 5 minutes to let the chill come off and then bam(!).