These fun-size snack balls combine the gooey goodness of melted marshmallows, creamy peanut butter and popcorn topped with chocolate and butterscotch for the perfect sweet treat.
Easy to make. Perfect for the holidays. Make a big batch roll them in red and green sprinkles and add them to your ding-dong ditch homemade present drop off this year.
Think your favorite childhood treat – Rice Krispie Treats, but with popcorn instead of cereal. It’s a great way to change up the ol’ recipe. The popcorn make the balls airy, easy to bite into and super fun. Sweet and salty.
The gooey marshmallow and creamy peanut butter melted together is a match made in heaven with the subtle sweet and nutty flavors combined. You can use any nut butter or completely omit if there is a nut allergy.
You will need popcorn. I recommend using freshly popped, that doesn’t mean you need to make it from scratch, a bag of microwaveable popcorn works perfectly (that is what I use). Just make sure it’s not an overly buttery flavor, I try to stick to just salted, no butter.
Making the balls
As soon as you combine all the ingredients in the recipe (full recipe below), you will want to roll them into balls before they completely cool and set which happens quickly. I found that it’s easiest with a cookie/meatball scoop. Set them aside on parchment paper or a non-stick surface so that you can then dip or drizzle butterscotch and chocolate over them.
Saving the best for last, drizzle butterscotch & chocolate
When using store-bought commercial morsels, it really easy to burn chocolate and butterscotch when you melt it in the microwave, I know it can feel defeating. But I’m here to tell you that there is a very easy trick to save you from that frustration.
Put your morsels in a microwave-safe bowl add in a dollop (about a 1/2 tsp) of coconut oil or butter – this will help protect the morsels from burning. Heat for 1 minute, then stir, continue to heat in 30 second increments, stirring between – stop heating when you only have a few unmelted morsels, stirring them into the warm melted ones will melt them.
Then dip or spoon drizzle your popcorn balls.
Sweet Popcorn Marshmallow Balls
- 3 TBSP Butter
- ½ cup Peanut Butter
- 1 10oz bag Jumbo Marshmallows
- 6 cups Popcorn – freshly popped
- ½ cup Butterscotch Morsels
- ½ cup Chocolate Morsels
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil or Butter divided into ½ tsps
- Over low heat, melt the butter and peanut butter together.
- Stir in your marshmallows, continue to stir as they melt down.
- Off the heat, add in your popcorn and stir until evenly coated.
- While the popcorn mixture is still warm, scoop out the balls and place them on parchment paper or another non-stick surface.
- In two microwave safe bowls, separately melt your butterscotch and chocolate morsels with ½ tsp of coconut oil or butter each, see blog notes.
- Dip or drizzle the melted butterscotch and chocolate over the popcorn balls as desired.