One-pot quick and healthy meals are everything when you’re trying to feed a family (or just yourself) during a busy week. This one is irresistible and will be an easy addition to your menu rotation. This meal is gluten-free, jam packed with protein and fiber and versatile; you can make it with pork, chicken breasts or tofu (see vegan alternative option below the recipe).
I immediately fell in love with this recipe because it’s so simple and so delicious. I have made it a lot, and I’ve tested it several ways. The recipe below is for 4 servings but you can definitely make it for one, two or six and counting. The ratio for quinoa is 2:1 which means you will want twice as much liquid to the quinoa measurement. It is 1/4 cup of uncooked quinoa per serving however when I made this for two people, I still used 1 cup of uncooked quinoa because I love leftovers.
One-Pot Pork Chops and Quinoa
- 4 4-5oz Boneless Pork Chops
- 2 TBSP Butter or Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard Stone Ground preferred
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 cups Chicken Stock unsalted
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard (roughly 4-5 cups)
- Salt and pepper your pork chops and set aside. Remove your Swiss chard from the stem and roughly chop (or tear with your hands) into large bite side pieces, it will wilt down so it’s not necessary to chop into small pieces, you will want 4-5 heaping cups. Set it aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat melt your butter (or warm up your olive oil) Add in your dijon mustard and turmeric.
- Stir it to combine evenly.
- Add in your pork chops, making sure they have enough room and are not touching each other.
- Over medium heat let them cook for 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the pork chops from the pan. Add in your stock and use your wooden spoon (or spatula) to scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan. This will add all of that flavor back into the dish. Turn the heat to a medium-high so that the stock will start to boil.
- Once the stock starts to boil, add in your quinoa. Stir to combine evenly with the stock.
- Pile your Swiss chard into the pan on top of the quinoa and stock. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Place your pork chops back in the pan on top of the Swiss chard.
- Turn the heat back down to medium-low, just hot enough for the stock to simmer with little bubbles. Cover with a lid and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from heat- do not take the lid off and let it sit for another 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, fluff up the quinoa and serve!
Vegan Alternation Option:
Replace the pork chops with tofu steaks that are approximently 4oz and 1 inch thick. I used firm tofu – pressed between paper towels to get as much water removed as possible.
Replace the chicken stock with unsalted vegetable stock. Below is a link to my favorite brand: