Weekends (and working from home) are made for this. Lemon blueberry muffin cake is a perfectly sweet start to any morning and makes for a delicious summertime dessert. Light, fluffy, jam-packed with blueberries and topped with a lemon glaze makes this irresistible.
A fun twist on a classic, the lemon blueberry muffin cake is the summer love child of the blueberry muffin and a glass of lemonade. I was inspired by our blueberry picking earlier this summer.
We spent a morning outside in the summer breeze and gathered as many berries as we could find, sneaking a few along the way. If you haven’t been yet this summer, according to our local orchard, there is about one more week left for blueberry picking!
This blueberry muffin cake is so addicting, you’ll want to make it even after blueberry season. Good news, you can! Fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries can be used for this recipe. If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw, they go straight from freezer to batter.
The Lemon Glaze
You don’t have to top the blueberry muffin cake with anything, it’s perfectly delicious without the glaze if you want to skip the extra sweetness. I will say the lemon glaze adds a little something extra and is undeniably satisfying.
You can make as little or as much as you want to. Also, you can make it as thin or as thick as you want to. My first go-around with the recipe I made the glaze a little thinner which I prefer. My family likes the thicker glaze shown above.
To make the glaze, you will take 1 cup of powdered sugar and add fresh lemon juice to thin it out, a tablespoon at a time, to your preferred consistency. If you reach the flavor of lemon you like but still want it to be thinner, switch to adding water until you reach the consistency you want.
The glaze shown above is 1 cup of powdered sugar to 5-6 tablespoons of lemon juice. I will say though that every time I make it, the ratio changes and I haven’t really figured out why, I am guessing the change in powdered sugar brands might have something to do with it.
If you have left overs, and that’s a big IF, store it the refrigerator. If you’re not going to have it fresh out of the oven, then cold is the next best thing.
Lemon Blueberry Muffin Cake
- 1 9 inch pan
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsps Baking Powder
- 1 Lemon worth of Zest
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ cup Butter (1 stick) at room temperature
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Whole Milk at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Blueberries
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 3-6 TBSP Fresh Lemon Juice
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line your baking pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, lemon zest (careful not to zest the white pith of the lemon), salt and cinnamon.
- Using your kitchen aid mixer (with a paddle attachment) or hand mixer cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy about 2 minutes. Add in the egg, vanilla, lemon juice. Mix until combined.
- You will want to fold the dry ingredients and milk into the wet ingredients alternating between dry ingredients and milk, ending with flour.
- Divide the flour into thirds, it does not have to be exact, but just know you will add the flour three times. The milk will be divided into half. To the wet ingredients (egg mixture) you will add one third of the flour, folding it in with a spatula. Then you will add one half of the milk, folding with a spatula. Repeat and then fold in your last third of flour. Folding means that instead of stirring you will lift the ingredients up from the bottom and fold it on top until it’s combined evenly. This will help create air for a lighter batter.
- The batter will be very thick.
- Fold in the blueberries. If you use frozen blueberries, there will be more of a blue color streak in your batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan.
- Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean.
- Let it cool on a rack completely before removing from the pan. This will help the cake from breaking apart. The easiest way is to lift up with using your parchment paper.
- Drizzle with Lemon Glaze.