Spicy chicken sausage and kale soup is the best way to end the workday. After a long day of emails, phone calls and meetings, this soup gives you all of the warm cozy feelings in 35 minutes or less.
It’s a perfect leftover lunch soup too!
I’ve been making a variation of the soup for a decade, it was one of the meals that won over my now husband, he absolutely loves it. The browned chicken sausage, warm nutmeg and spicy red pepper flakes really give the best flavors and fill the kitchen with delicious smells.
This spicy chicken sausage and kale soup also pays homage to the Millers – my dad’s side of the family, we love pierogies. Grandma Miller also inspired me to cook, write, create. In my opinion, creamy traditional cheddar and whipped potato pierogies and spicy chicken sausage make the perfect bite.
Chicken Sausage and Kale Soup
Chicken sausage comes fully cooked which makes it great for quick weeknight meals. You can find them in any grocery store in a variety of flavors. My favorite for this soup is andouille which as a kick of cajun spices. If you’re looking for less spice, you can always choose a chicken and apple or Italian.
Kale, some would say the hype is over, the kale phase is over, but it’s still a great green to add to this soup. Once it’s wilted and soft, it is mild in flavor and no longer bitter like raw kale. If you’re looking for alternatives to kale – broccoli, collard greens or even full leaf spinach could work. Collard greens may need a little more time to cook before adding in the pierogies and browned chicken sausage.
Frozen pierogies make this so spicy chicken sausage and kale soup so easy to make. The cheddar and whipped potato flavors really help balance the spice. I love using the mini pierogies which are admittedly harder to find in the grocery store. You can also use regular size if you’re in a pinch. No need to defrost, cook right from frozen.
Spicy Kale and Sausage Soup
- 12 oz Andouille Chicken Sausage (fully cooked)
- 1 TBSP Butter
- 1 Onion - diced small
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 2 cloves Garlic - minced
- 8 cups Chicken Stock
- 4 cups Chopped Kale
- 12 oz Frozen Small Pierogies
- Slice the chicken sausage into ¼ inch round slices. In a pot over medium heat, brown your sausage. Since it is already fully cooked, we just want to brown them for flavor, about 2-3 minutes. Once brown, remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot you browned your sausage, over medium-low heat, add your butter, onions, salt, nutmeg, red pepper flakes and garlic. As the onions start to sweat, using a wooden spoon you can scrape up any of the cooked on brown bits on the bottom of the pot for more flavor. Cook the onions until soft and the spices are fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in your chicken stock and add in your chopped kale. Over medium heat, just below a boil, cook until the kale becomes soft and wilted, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add in your frozen pierogies and browned chicken sausage. Cook until the pierogies are cooked through about 5-7 minutes. Taste the soup broth, add more salt if needed.